Friday, June 2, 2023

Adding Wefts to Doll Wig

 This was inspired by someone on Facebook who posted about adding colored wefts to the existing wig of an American Girl doll to give a more interesting look.

I bought hair clip-ons on Amazon that were attached to barrettes. Most of the colors available were neon and hurt  my eyes. I bought the pink because it wasn't neon.

I had found this Just Like You 32 at the thrift store for $35. I decided to use her because I wasn't attached to her at all, and I thought this was a low-risk project. 

Honestly, there have been so many blonde haired, blue eyed dolls throughout my childhood, that they are not my favorite anyway. It was rare even to find a brunette doll, and that made me excited because I am brunette.

I took the hair clips and used an embroidery scissors to remove the clip part. This left me with just the wefts of hair.

I did not remove the wig from the doll's head. I just lifted up sections of her hair. There are wefts sewn in rows on the wig. I hand sewed the pink wefts in between the existing wefts of the wig, while it was still on the doll's head. I went all around the doll's head in a row. This took four wefts.

I tried adding wefts to her bangs as well so that they would have some pink, but that just did not go well. The added weft stood out stiffly at an angle and did not incorporate. I was able to remove it again.

The rest of the wig looks good, I think. It's a subtle look, which is what I was going for.

The wefts were longer than the rest of the wig, and I had to trim them. That was scary for me. I do not think of myself as skilled at cutting hair. But I did it, and I think it looks fine!

I think if I had a hair iron, it would help integrate the old and new hair a bit if I flat ironed it all together.


I am pleased with this project. I am trying to come up with a name for this doll. She has more personality now.


1 comment:

  1. She does look cute! Maybe give her a name that relates to strawberries or roses, since her highlights are pink? Either way she looks adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Ruby Red Fashion Friends Doll Stella

 I recently bought several Red Ruby Fashion dolls due to a recent sale. I have always thought that these dolls were very pretty. The high pr...