Thursday, June 23, 2016

Pattern Review: Eden Ava's 1950s Silhouette Dress

One pattern that I have coveted for a long time is Eden Ava's 1950s Silhouette Dress, available from Pixie Faire. Since I am on a roll with sewing, and with the release of Maryellen, I finally splurged and bought it.







I am not sure if I did something wrong, but I did have a rather major problem with this pattern- the skirt was a tiny bit too short for the bodice and I made it fit only with careful finagling.



I was disappointed in this, because I really do love Eden Ava patterns.

The skirt itself is lovely and consists of multiple pieces. I would recommend that when you cut out the skirt pieces, you should keep them pinned to the pattern pieces so that you know which piece to sew to which. Otherwise, it would be easy to get confused.



I was also surprised that the collar is a separate piece from the dress. I don't like this on doll clothes because it is easy to lose it and the pieces are so lightweight that they sort of float above the dress and don't look right. I chose not to make the collar.



Keeper Dolly Duds offers a pattern for a similar dress in Simplicity pattern 1086. It would be interesting to see how the two patterns compare. I may have to try that soon.


2 comments:

  1. I have made view F from the Keeper Dolly Duds' simplicity pattern. The blouse is one of the best doll blouses I have made. https://sewbeading.wordpress.com/2015/08/13/cute-1950s-simplicity-1086/

    ReplyDelete

Pattern Review: Keepers Dolly Duds Sunday Stroll

 I finally finished Keepers Dolly Duds Sunday Stroll! I had a spot of trouble with this one. I had almost finished it, when I had some troub...