Saturday, June 17, 2017

Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose

While I have been on eBay looking for AG dolls to give as gifts, I was not looking for dolls for myself. I most especially was not looking at blonde, blue eyed classic mold dolls. 

But there was this one doll looked like a modern day Alice in Wonderland, and she just seemed to be alive with personality already. I put in a low bid, and here she is.

I thought about naming her Alice or Allison, but that just seemed too obvious.

Instead, her name is Lily Rose, after the painting Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose by John Singer Sargent from 1885. I have loved that painting ever since it was in one of the very first American Girl magazines. Given my love of art history, it's surprising that I haven't named a doll after a painting before now.






Even if she isn't named after Alice in Wonderland, it's her favorite book, and she thought it was funny to pose with giant flowers.



She is beautiful, and she knows it!

2 comments:

  1. dangit! I had the same idea for a future doll! It's one of my favorite paintings. To me your Lily Rose looks like an Alice because she's blond and blue eyed-the AG equivalent of my niece's beloved doll Alice (Lotus doll).

    ReplyDelete

Pattern Review: Keepers Dolly Duds Sunday Stroll

 I finally finished Keepers Dolly Duds Sunday Stroll! I had a spot of trouble with this one. I had almost finished it, when I had some troub...