Sunday, October 28, 2018

Felicity Meets Kathleen Ernst

Yesterday was the Edgerton Sterling North Book and Film Festival in Edgerton, Wisconsin.

Author Kathleen Ernst was there signing books. She also did a presentation and received the Sterling North Legacy Award for Excellence in Children's Literature.

I got to go, and Felicity went with me!

Kathleen Ernst is the author of the Caroline books, and also of Felicity's newest book, Gunpowder and Tea Cakes.


So I got to have Ms. Ernst sign books for me, take a picture with Felicity, and attend the lecture that she gave.

There is a joke in the Muppet fandom that Muppeteer Karen Prell is the meanest person in the world- because actually she is the nicest person you could ever meet. (No, I haven't met her. I wish.)

The same could be said about Kathleen Ernst, and for the same reason.

I was kind of nervous about bringing Felicity with me. I think maybe the first words out of Ms. Ernst's mouth were, "Thank you for bringing her!"

(Maybe not the first words- but the ones I remember very clearly."

I told her that I wanted to attend her lecture, but was sort of unsure about it, because of my hearing loss, and I might leave early if I couldn't hear. She was so kind about it.


After the lecture, she took the time to come up to me and ask if I had been able to hear. She even remembered my name.

It was SUCH a great experience.

This is not the first time I have been to one of Ms. Ernst's signings, but the other signings were for her Chloe Finderson book series, so I did not being Felicity. You can read my blog post about meeting her last year here.

I am very sad to hear that the publisher for her Chloe series is going out of business and that she needs to fins a new publisher for Chloe.

I also took the time to go to Sterling North's childhood home. He is known for books such as Rascal, which I don't think I have read, but now I plan to!


The house was very enjoyable, and they had printed sheets for a self-guided tour, which was great with my hearing loss.

The house had a loved feeling to me, and the quotes from the book Rascal definitely made me want to read it!

Here are the books that she signed for me: Death on the Prairie, Gunpowder and Tea Cakes, and mini Meet Caroline.



I love mini books and am so excited to have a signed mini books! I miss when all of the mini books were paperback.

This was a great experience, and I would encourage anyone who has a chance to attend a Kathleen Ernst book signing to go for it!

2 comments:

Pattern Review: Keepers Dolly Duds Sunday Stroll

 I finally finished Keepers Dolly Duds Sunday Stroll! I had a spot of trouble with this one. I had almost finished it, when I had some troub...