I chose a pattern that I have had for a few months but hadn't made before: Liberty Jane's Peplum Top, available at Pixie Faire.
The pattern comes with directions to make the top into a dress, if you so desire. I like it better as a dress. I know peplum tops are stylish right now, but I like the neckline better than the ruffle at the bottom.
The project went together very quickly. I finished it in one evening. I had a lot of fun making it, and I found it pretty easy.
I used velcro to close the back of the dress instead of a zipper as the instructions call for.
I had two small quibbles with this pattern.
First, the front of the dress was a very tight fit. I had added a quarter inch on to each side of the back to compensate for using velcro instead of elastic. The front was an absolute skin tight fit on my Jess, and she is the skinniest doll I own. If you have a wider doll, I would recommend adjusting accordingly.
Second, I would lengthen the skirt just a tiny bit more, half an inch or so. That is just a matter of personal taste.
Overall, this was a fun pattern and I would make it again.