Monday, January 30, 2017

Vintage Doll- Katie

This is Katie. My grandparents gave her to me for my second Christmas.




My sister is only three months older than Katie.

There is a book called Baby Dear by Esther and Eloise Wilkins. It's about a little girl who does the same things to her baby doll that her mother does to her baby sister. That book was my life. I made my mother read it to me so many times that we had to use duct tape to hold it together.

Katie is a life sized baby doll. She is 21 inches long. She has a cloth body, and inside is a plastic heart. The heart is battery powered, and if you press your head against her body, you will hear a heart beat.

I love Katie so much. She went everywhere with me. People often thought she was a real baby and would tell my mother that her baby (Katie) was slumping over in the front of the shopping cart, or comment on why my mother would let such a little girl (me) carry an infant (Katie).

Once I was carrying her when we went to Sears for a family portrait. An employee lunged forward to grab Katie when she fell off the platform we were being posed on, thinking that she was witnessing a real baby being dropped on her head.

Katie was made by a Spanish company that today is the Berenguer company. I am glad that they are still in business, but to me, none of their current dolls are anywhere are pretty or special as Katie.

I am totally biased, and proudly so.

2 comments:

  1. I loved that book when I was little. I recently found it again. What sweet memories you have with your doll.

    ReplyDelete

1920s doll dress patterns

Carpatina 1925 period dress Hint of History 1920s Wedding Gown The2ndLifeMercantile Vintage 1920s Dress Pattern Wren*Feathers FREE 192...