I, personally, think it is adorable. I know a friend's mother who had to wear one of these as a girl and hated it, and that makes it funny to me.
Knowing that it is very authentic appeals to me, also.
This pattern is very easy to make. It looks more complicated than it is.
The legs are not separate, so I think that makes it easier than it looks.
I chose not to write or embroider Melody's last name on the pocket, because I didn't think I could make it look good at that scale.
I did make the collar half an inch longer than the pattern calls for by adding a quarter inch to the pattern piece.
Otherwise, it worked like a charm! I finished this in one day and I highly recommend it.
Since I posted this picture on Flickr, I have heard from ladies who wore this uniform in the 1950s, 1960s, and even the 1970s!
So far the most common colors seem to have been dark blue or dark green.
Melody now needs 1960-era appropriate gym shoes.
Looking at the finished outfit, I think that you could also use this pattern to make Samantha's bathing dress. All you'd have to do is make a separate knee-length skirt to be worn over the playsuit, and leave off the pocket. Piece of cake!