Monday, February 12, 2024

Pattern Review: Joan Hinds Sailor Dress

 I did a lot of sewing this weekend!

I was inspired by the new Disney release to make some Tiana inspired dresses. These are not exact matches for the AG versions. It was much more fun to use what I had in the house and see different combinations come together!

I was lucky that I went to the thrift store on Friday and found a big piece of plain yellow fabric that I used for two of the dresses. It was only $2!

The pattern that I used was the sailor dress from Joan Hinds Heritage Doll Clothes

I bought this book used. The pattern pieces were not in the book, they were on a CD. I was able to get the patterns off the CD with the help of the library, but a lot of laptops no longer have a CD player, so be aware of that if buying the book used.

I made the skirt 1.5 inches longer than the pattern because it looked to me like Tiana's work dress skirt hits her at mid-thigh.

I also added a sleeve cuff by cutting strips of fabric 1.25 by 5.25 inches.

Other changes that you could do to make the pattern closet to the work dress would be shortening the top a little bit and shortening the sleeves about 1.5 inches so that they are 3/4 length.



The collar is only on the front of the dress and does not extend around to the back of the dress.

I had so much fun picking out different color combinations from my stash. It was hard to stop!

I like all of the combinations. 

Claudie is my model for Tiana. She is so cute, and so is the Tiana doll.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern Review: Keepers Dolly Duds Victorian Caroler's Coat

 Ladies and gentlemen, I did it! I finished the 47th Keepers Dolly Duds digital pattern. This one is the  Keepers Dolly Duds Victorian Carol...