Thursday, January 3, 2019

Via E Dolls and Racism

Via E has just outed itself as a racist, out of touch doll company.

They make a line of 18 inch dolls that are from different countries. The dolls are supposed to be waterproof I think, so you can take them in the pool with you.

I never cared for the way the dolls look, and today I am glad of that.

Because of this.



This is a pattern released by the Via E company, for the Via E dolls.

And it is so racist and so wrong.

Native American regalia can be sacred, depending on the tribe. It requires a lot of research and sensitivity to get it right.

I have really come to the conclusion that unless you belong to a tribe and are making doll clothes that are for yourself and that represent your tribe, you should not make doll clothes representing Native American regalia.

I have written several blog posts about this.

Here is a post that I have written in the past on this topic: Sewing Native American Doll Clothes

It is really obvious that Via E did not do any research on this at all.

They played into every braids-and-buckskin stereotype that ever existed, and they decided to cash in on it.

And they randomly made the clothes pattern off the shoulder as well, just to make the clothes sexy as well.

This is made by a company for its dolls.
This is how they want to earn money.
This is how they want their dolls to be appareled and played with.

I am so glad that I don't own any of these dolls and that I never wanted to.

I am revolted.

3 comments:

  1. Gross, tacky, and racist. I hadn't heard of these dolls before but I will definitely steer clear of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, that's absolutely horrible.I wasn't a fan of them before, but I like them even less now.

    ReplyDelete

Pattern Review: Keepers Dolly Duds Sunday Stroll

 I finally finished Keepers Dolly Duds Sunday Stroll! I had a spot of trouble with this one. I had almost finished it, when I had some troub...