Thursday, February 18, 2021

Pattern Review: Addy's Nightgown

 I made Addy's classic nightgown from the Pleasant Company pattern.

I used real flannel, and it's very cozy for the freezing weather we have been having.



This is the second time I have made this pattern.

The first time was years ago, and one of the sleeve bands was too tight and didn't fit over her hand.

This time, I realized something that I am not sure I noticed last time.

The button placket is made by making a pleat from the front bodice piece. I have never seen this kind of construction before, it's a bit odd. It's so easy to cut a small piece of fabric and make the placket separately and not risk messing up the measurement of the bodice. 

Also, I  added a quarter inch to the bodice back to make sure that it could close easily, and I think that this was a good decision.

So this pattern has a few potential shortfalls, but it came out okay.

It doesn't have buttons yet. I don't have any white or clear buttons that are the right size.

I will wait till it's warmer and I can go shopping.

I am glad that I finally re-made this pattern, because I have wanted to for years. 

Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Yellow Doll Coat

 This coat is inspired by the yellow Prada coat worn by poet Amanda Gorman.

I used Simplicity pattern 8111. You can see the other coat I made from this pattern here.



I made my own pocket pattern by tracing around a lid of a pill bottle, folding the circle in half, and adding a quarter inch seam allowance on top of the semicircle.

I had a remnant of some yellow satin-type material left over from another project, and used that to line the coat. It was very difficult to work with, but it gives the coat a very luxurious feel.

I also made a red headband to go with it.

To make the headband, I cut a rectangle of red fabric 11.5 inches by one inch, did a seam along the edge, turned it inside out, and closed it by adding a half inch of elastic to both ends.

This is such a beautiful, powerful look for the middle of winter. I am really proud of how it turned out.


Sunday, February 14, 2021

Pattern Review: All Dolled Up Lyric

 I made the pattern Lyric by All Dolled Up, currently called AllDolledUpbyTerrie on etsy.

I wanted to make Valentine's Day dresses for my little cousins, who have Kit and Ruthie.

I didn't have time to search for 1930s appropriate fabric, but I thought it would still be cute to use modern fabric and sew it into a 1930s appropriate dress.


I think the resulting dresses are very cute!

They have the same main fabric. The secondary fabrics are actually different, but close enough to look the same in a picture.

I had a few problems with this pattern. The pattern piece for the sleeve band was too short, and the front of the dress was longer than the back of the dress.

I was able to deal with these issues, and I am so happy to have made these cute dresses!

The pattern maker says that this is based on a dress that she wore in the 1960s, so I would like to make a different version of this dress for Melody some day.

Friday, February 12, 2021

Pattern Review: Keepers Dolly Duds 1914 Pleated Frock

 I wanted to make a Valentine's Day Dress for my younger cousin who has Samantha.

I decided to go ahead and use fabric with a modern print and the Keepers Dolly Duds 1914 Pleated Frock pattern.

Only- the irony- I didn't pleat the skirt. Ha.

I felt that pleating the skirt would be more work for me AND it would be hard to expect an eight year old to keep that pleated skirt pristine.


I like the dress anyway, pleated skirt or no pleated skirt. It looks elegant and complicated.

The pattern went together easily, and I am very pleased with it.

I'm sure that my cousin will like it too.

I am also glad that I did make the pattern and found a way to make it less intimidated for me. 

If I make this pattern for my Samantha, it will have a pleated skirt!

Thursday, February 4, 2021

Samantha's Nightgown

 I always loved Samantha's nightgown. I was not able to buy it until I reached adulthood, but even now, it's very soothing to me to put it on her.

This is not the official American Girl Samantha's nightgown.


This is actually a version of Samantha's nightgown that I made myself.

I used the official Pleasant Company pattern.

The lace is different- I just used what I had in the house.

The ends of the sleeves are different too. I put in a sleeve band instead of using elastic.

However, I am really proud of this. I think it looks like Samantha's nightgown at first glance, even in person. You don't notice the differences unless you are looking for them.

This is going to be a gift for my little cousin, and I hope it makes her happy.

Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Fourth of July Dresses

 I am really jumping around on the holidays out of order, but I wanted to make some doll dresses for the Fourth of July for my little cousins. I had the perfect fabrics on hand.

I used to love the Fourth of July, but now I have mixed feelings about it because it does not acknowledge that this land was stolen from indigenous people.

With that acknowledgement, I love these dresses.


I used the pattern for the Liberty Jane Peplum Top once again. I made the waistband 1.5 inches and the skirt 6.5 inches.

I feel that this gives it more of a classic look, rather than a trendy one.

I also added a quarter of an inch to the back of the dress to make sure that this would fit my cousins' dolls.

It's very funny to be taking pictures of Fourth of July dresses in the snow! 

Oh well, you do what you gotta do.

I am happy with the dresses, and my cousins will be, too. I like how each dress is unique, but they go very well together as a whole.

More Doll Pictures

 Here are a few more doll pictures.  I am trying to post for Doll of Color Month most days, if not all days. I rarely have Internet access t...