Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Pattern Review: Keepers Dolly Duds Colonial Day Dress

 Felicity is my first American Girl doll and so very special to me.

And yet I have never sewn anything for her until now.

This is because I loved her original collection so much. And partly because I saw so many badly made handmade colonial dresses.

I have finally sewn a gown for my girl.

I used the Keepers Dolly Duds Colonial Day Dress pattern.

It was very easy to follow.

I had a specific fabric that I wanted to use, but first I made a practice dress from the pattern from this thick dark evergreen fabric that I bought secondhand. I am not sure exactly what it is, but it feels and drapes beautifully. It made a very nice dress.


It also pairs perfectly with her red cloak. I have been wanting a more every day winter dress she can wear under her cloak besides her classic blue dress. This is perfect for that.


Having made the first dress, I felt confident in cutting into the very special shimmery fabric that I was saving for a special fabric.

It's brown that turns sort of copper when it moves. It's stunning.

It's also a bit on the slippery side. As a result, I am not quite happy with how the decorative ruffled bits came out.

Maybe no one else can see the mistakes, but I can, and they are driving me mad.

This also pairs well with the cardinal cloak.

I don't blame the pattern for the problems that I had in making the decorative parts of this dress. It's all me and my lack of experience in working with certain fabrics.

Still, I think I will make a plainer version of this gown with this fabric so I don't have to stare at my mistakes.

I hope I have enough fabric after that left to make a dress for Phryne Valancy, who needs a fancy wardrobe as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern Review: Keepers Dolly Duds Pretty Pilgrim

 I posted about sewing the  Keepers Dolly Duds Pilgrim Boy pattern  and turning it into a folk costume from the German city of Braunschweig....