Monday, January 25, 2016

Pattern Review: Thimbles And Acorns Minoan Wrap Skirt and Blouse

I was so excited when Thimbles and Acorns came out with the Minoan Wrap Skirt and Blouse pattern.  I wrote, "I did not know that I need this in my life, but I do."
I was not kidding. I am so thrilled to have this pattern.




To quote from the Ancient History Encyclopedia, "The Minoan civilization flourished in the middle Bronze Age on the Mediterranean island of Crete from ca. 2000 BCE until ca. 1500 BCE and, with their unique art and architecture, the Minoans made a significant contribution to the development of Western European civilization as it is known today."

Minoa had some particularly beautiful art. My favorites are the frescoes. Not surprising really, as I tend to prefer paintings over, say, sculpture or other art forms.

They made lovely jewelry as well.



I love this dolphin fresco SO MUCH.


I could not imagine, from looking at the frescoes of Minoan woman, HOW anyone could figure out how to sew a convincing Minoan costume. The frescoes are often incomplete, as they had to be pieced together and reconstructed from paint chips.



And yes, as you can see, Minoan fashions for women sometimes left the breasts exposed. The Minoans were big fashionistas, and their fashions changed from year to year.

Despite my initial skepticism, Shari did a great job in creating this pattern. It looks convincingly Minoan to me.
(I am not an archaeologist.  Please don't send angry archaeologists after me. I would, however, love to hear what an archaeologist thinks of this outfit.)

The pattern is very easy to make. I was a little worried when I started the pattern, because there were so many pieces and I was afraid I would lose some of them.


There are a lot of edges to finish. The skirt has four tiers, and you have to finish three sides of each tier. If this makes you nervous, Stitch Witch is an easy way to make those hems look good. The tiers are only sewn together at the top of the skirt.

I used yellow and blue fabric, because I think it is a nice color combination and it can be seen in a couple of the Minoan frescoes I am familiar with.

I always learn something from Thimble and Acorns patterns, and this one was no exception. I will be able to apply this knowledge to future projects. There is always something new to learn!


I was able to make this entire outfit in one evening. I will be even faster and more confident in making it next time!

One of the neat things about this pattern is that it does not use velcro, buttons or snaps, just fabric. If you are stranded at home with fabric but no fasteners, this is a great project to make!

Making the ties was the most time consuming part of the whole process. I watched an entire episode of the X Files while I carefully turned the ties inside out so the seam is on the inside.

I had to take a picture of Rosie the Riveter with the Minoan dress, the contrast is so great.


I highly, highly recommend this pattern and hope to see versions made by others!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern Review: Keepers Dolly Duds Sunday Stroll

 I finally finished Keepers Dolly Duds Sunday Stroll! I had a spot of trouble with this one. I had almost finished it, when I had some troub...