Saturday, July 4, 2015

Converting Baby Onesies into Doll Clothes

Happy Fourth of July!

It is rainy here, so I am sewing doll clothes like mad.

I tried something today that I have been meaning to do- converting a baby onesie into a fun summer top for American Girl dolls.

I bought this onesie one clearance at Wal-Mart for $1.50 well over a year ago. Sigh. Better late than never.

I chose this onesie because the price was great, I liked the bright colors, and I knew that the ruffles were way beyond my ability to sew myself with knit fabric.

It is in newborn size. I have heard that preemie clothes fit AG dolls even better, but this was definitely workable. It probably helped that this onesie's sleeves didn't reach the bottom of the armhole.



Kaya is modelling the unaltered onesie, and it is definitely baggy, and of course way too long.

I used the free Trendy T-shirt pattern from Liberty Jane to determine where I should cut the bottom of the onesie off in order to turn it into a shirt.

I then cut about and inch of material off the back of the onesie, removing the original snap closure. I was a little sad that it was necessary to do that, but I needed to do it for fit.



I finished off the edges of the back and added a velcro closure.

I took half an inch off each side seam and trimmed the excess fabric. Again, I would not have been able to do this if the onesie had full-length sleeves that reached the bottom of the armhole.

I finished off the bottom of the top, and voila! I had a bright and cheerful top, perfect for summer wear!



The colors look great on Kaya!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern Review: Keepers Dolly Duds Rising Star

 I loved the  Keepers Dolly Duds Rising Star  pattern as soon as it was released!  I was a big fan of Shirley Temple as a little girl. I was...