Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Whitewater Effigy Mounds

I am so pleased to have obtained another piece of Kaya's meet outfit.

American Girl Collectors member D.Madison won Kaya's belt, which she didn't need, in a lot of doll items on ebay and generously offered it to me. Thank you so much!

To celebrate, Kaya and I went to Whitewater Effigy Mounds Preserve.





These Indian mounds differ from ones that I have previously visited. They are not as high.

Some of the mounds are built in the shape of animals. There are two birds, a turtle and a weasel.

It's a bit difficult to see the shares right now, when the grasses are so high. I could see them better in the winter.

Other mounds are simply conical in shape.

Here is Kaya with a conical mound:

I know, you can't see the mound very well. Sorry.


The preserve is also an oak savanna. This is a geographical area that consists of lightly wooded grasslands, and the trees are primarily oaks. Before European settlement, Wisconsin primarily consisted of oak savannas.


As you can see, the grasses grow very high! They are over Kaya's head.

I think it is very interesting that the mounds are made of dirt that was imported from sacred sites. It shows how important that the mounds were to the people who made them.

This is my favorite of the Indian mounds that I have visited so far. It felt very, very sacred to me, and I felt a connection with the people who had been here before me.

Here is Kaya with my favorite mound, the turtle mound:



I recommend visiting here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disney Animator Sundress

 I made a quick sleeveless sundress for the Disney Animator dolls.  I used the pattern   Requiem Art Designs Disney Animator Toddler Basic D...