Saturday, July 25, 2020

MCM Sale Report 2020

Today was the Madison Children's Museum Benefit sale.

I have attended this sale in person for several years. This year, it was online.

This sale is an important fundraiser for the museum. It is especially important this year, because according to an article from NPR, one third of museums may not survive the year due financial issues caused by the pandemic.

I know that the whole AG fandom will be very sad if the museum closes and there are no future MCM benefit sales.

I know that they had to make difficult decisions to hold the sale online this year and to not offer in-person pick-up.

They also had to decide not to offer any tickets beyond those sold at the pre-sale.

I was fortunate enough to have bought a ticket in the pre-sale, but many did not, especially as no one knew at that point that the sale would be online. No one knew that there would be a sale at all.

My ticket time was at 12:00 pm.

Unfortunately, everything on my wish list was sold out.

My wish list was as follows: Truly Me 80, Wellie Wisher Kendall, and Jess mold Create Your Own dolls.

I was also interested in the mystery grab bag and the mystery grab bag with mystery doll.

There were many ravishing Jess mold CYOs for sale. I had a long list of ones that I would be happy to buy.

However, only 300 CYOs were available, and they all sold out by 10:30 am, long before my ticket time.

There were very limited Truly Me dolls available when my ticket time came. Many historical dolls, as well as Blaire and Luciana, were still available.

I considered buying Girl of The Year Luciana or Wellie Wisher Willa or the Canadian T-shirt.

However, I tend not to bond well with impulse buys.

When I made a cart with Willa and the Canadian T-shirt, shipping came to $30. When I removed Willa and only had the Canadian T-shirt in my cart, shipping was still $30.

I decided not to buy anything.

I am sorry not to be able to offer financial support to the museum when they need it, but I need to only buy items for my collection that I really want. My collection is large enough already!

I am not too disappointed in how things worked out, although I would have loved to buy some of those Jess mold CYOs.

The museum did the very best that they could to offer a good sale under very difficult circumstances.

I am grateful to them for the hard work they put in.

This is not the first time I walked away from the sale without a new doll, but it is the first time I walked away without any purchase.

I hope to attend the sale next year and be able to find something to bring home with me.

A lot of what I enjoy about the sale is the anticipation, the camaraderie with other AG collectors, and discussing the sale with other collectors. I did get to enjoy that this year.

I hope to see some of my collector friends at the sale next year!

You can read my reports from past years here:

MCM Report 2019

MCM Report 2018

MCM Report 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disney Animator Sundress

 I made a quick sleeveless sundress for the Disney Animator dolls.  I used the pattern   Requiem Art Designs Disney Animator Toddler Basic D...