Thursday, March 16, 2017

Learning to Sew

My grandma was an accomplished sewist.

She made some beautiful clothes over the years, as well as doll clothes for my mom's dolls. None of my mom's dolls have the clothes they originally came with, only the ones that my grandma sewed for them.



She also made one, and only one, quilt during her lifetime, which is meaningful to me. Quilts are one of my specialties.

I am my grandmother's oldest granddaughter, but by the time I was old enough to learn to sew, she was in her eighties and had Parkinson's Disease. She didn't sew anymore.

I saw a picture of an elaborate Victorian era apron in the Anne of Green Gables Treasury, and decided that my grandma and I should make a doll sized version together. I didn't have a pattern or anything.

Well, I guess I was insistent enough or something, that my grandma agreed to make it with me.
It wasn't the fancy Victorian apron of my dreams, just a simple white apron tied with ribbon.

I was still very happy with it. It was the first piece of doll clothing that I successfully sewed.
(It was preceded by some failed attempts.)


My Felicity wore it for years to protect her meet dress, until I decided that the apron was getting too frail. I carefully put it away and made a newer version to replace it.

It's really special to me that we made this together. I still wish that my grandma had been able to pass her years of sewing expertise on to me. Still, we did this together.
To me, it is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern Review: Keepers Dolly Duds Sunday Stroll

 I finally finished Keepers Dolly Duds Sunday Stroll! I had a spot of trouble with this one. I had almost finished it, when I had some troub...