Thursday, December 21, 2023

Pattern Review: Keepers Dolly Duds Isla Lass

 I made the Keepers Dolly Duds Isla Lass pattern. This pattern is an outfit for a 17th century Scottish girl.

The pattern has five pieces: the jacket, the petticoat, the fichu, the cap and the apron.

The fichu, petticoat and apron are all very easy to make.

The jacket is the most challenging piece. My jacket was made out of wool. I was able to buy a pair of wool pants at the thrift store for $2. I also found the perfect lace at the thrift store. This was a relief because the lace I was finding online was kind of pricy.

I would warn any sewists about the lining of the ruffle at the top of the sleeves on the jacket. It will be visible. I used white cotton as the lining to reduce bulk, and it shows. I don't think it ruins the look, since the jacket is dark grey and white anyway. But I would do it differently next time.

I was really impressed by the cap. It only has three pattern pieces, but the fit and the look is just superb. I love it. I thought it was not difficult to make, but it might be more challenging for a beginner.

I was trying to use only fabric that I already owned, so I didn't go out and buy the perfect plaid for the petticoat. I used plain red as a nod to the holiday season. I also used red ribbon as a tie to brighten the look a bit. Honestly, I really love this touch.

When I finish a new pattern, I want to make lots of variations on it in different colors if I enjoyed the pattern. That is definitely the case this time. The variations will have to wait, because I have lots of sewing projects planned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruby Red Fashion Friends Frieda

 I was surprised by how much I loved Ruby Red Fashion Friend Stella, but I have had my eye on Frieda for a long time! I love her coloring an...