Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Caddie Woodlawn's Fourth of July Dress

 In September, I wrote about the trip that I made to the Caddie Woodlawn house this summer.

I finally made Caddie's Fourth of July dress, the version in the illustrations! It is from the book "Magical Melons," also retitled "Caddie Woodlawn's Family."

I used Keepers Dolly Duds Megs Ball Gown pattern. I did not add the collar, as it was not in the illustration.


I think there is no way that Caddie, one of eight children, had such a fancy dress for the Fourth of July. Her mother knew she might ruin it. But I wanted to make the dress from the illustration anyway.

There's no way it would have had lace, either. I decided to add the lace because I knew white on white would be very subtle.

I was lucky to find a ribbon at the right width to use as her sash.

Here is the Woodhouse home in Wisconsin! It's so beautiful. I wish I lived close enough to visit more often!
Here is the illustration in the book of Caddie's Fourth of July dress.

I have to say that I thought the Meg's Ball Gown pattern looked intimidating, but I found it very easy to sew. I am so pleased with it.



I may just leave this dress on display from now until the Fourth of July!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruby Red Fashion Friends Frieda

 I was surprised by how much I loved Ruby Red Fashion Friend Stella, but I have had my eye on Frieda for a long time! I love her coloring an...