Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Project Dolls

 I was able to go to a second hand doll sale a couple of weeks ago. It was amazing, I am so excited about the dolls and doll accessories that I got there!

I got a bit carried away and bought five project dolls. These were all well-loved dolls that had amazing low prices. Tenney was $6.50, Samantha was $7.50, Ruthie with super short hair was $4.50, JLY 81 was $4.50, Kit was $8.50.

They had a lot of issues. Many had fingernail or toenail polish and were dirty. Wigs were in bad shape. Kit and Tenney have marker in their wigs. Ruthie's hair is cut short like a boy's. Kit doesn't have any freckles for some reason.



Then, on the same say, I went to Goodwill and found a JLY 5 for $5. 



Six new dolls in one day. Whoops. 

At least I know that all six dolls cost me a total of $36.50! That is just incredible.

So I have been working on fixing them up. First I tackled the fingernails and toenails. I tried using non-acetone fingernail polish remover. It didn't work, so they had paint and not actual fingernail polish on them. I then scrubbed them with rubbing alcohol. Then I scrubbed them with brush cleaner. I got all of the paint off, but some of the vinyl of the fingernails were faintly stained even after the paint was removed.

Next, I scrubbed all the vinyl limbs with Magic Eraser. This got SO MUCH dirt off, and a lot of marks as well.

Kit has a mark on her leg that may need acne treatment, and maybe the stained fingernails could use acne treatment as well.

I thought that the JLY 5 was going to need a new eye. Her eye looked scratched. But I used a paper towel dampened with rubbing alcohol to wipe the surface, and that fixed it. The eye was only dirty, not scratched.

JLY 81 had a wig that was completely fried, as well as cut at the front. I removed her wig. I had a wig on hand that was waiting for a new doll. I am not totally sure that this will be her permanent wig, but she looks so much better! I have serious Buttercup vibes from this wig.


This is an ongoing project. The dolls aren't totally fixed. Some of the things can't be fixed- Tenney's body is greenish, and unless I replace it, or remove all limbs and stuffing to wash it, there's not much to do there.

I am hoping to use some of these to practice eye swapping on. If I do not have the courage to eye swap a $5 doll, then I will never brave it. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keepers Dolly Duds Tea with the Governess

 I found this lovely coral fabric at the thrift store, and I immediately knew that I wanted to go Regency with it. I used it to make my seco...